Wednesday, June 29, 2011

2 new cars and 100 questions.

For quite sometime now, I have been toying with the idea of a new car. A bigger (SUV), better and fun drive that I would love to hilt. And now I take the typical Indian mentality head on while taking a decision on this.

My wife wants a car too. Fair enough, she wants some girly fun. All she wants is a chic automatic car and she'll feel liberated :)

I have a small car now, my precious Wagon R duo, which wasnt exactly a dream car when I bought it, but nevertheless, it is my first car and I have grown to love it, and more than all than, it was all I could afford 5 years back. I'd hate to see it go, and I secretly hope someone within the family would buy it from me.

Coming to the funda of having two cars in the family. Thats almost the norm in countries like US etc, and they've done just fine in guzzling all the world's oil and widening ozone gap for us. Whatever, but they do live life the way they want to.

And in India, its almost taboo to have a Bigggg car (SUV) in a middle class family, and that too a slightly conservative Brahmin family. And add to that our want of having two cars for a family of three. Thats a sin!

Ofcourse, we dont "need" a bigger car at the first place, Waggie is doing just fine for us. And we definitely dont "need" two!!!

Now thats the question we face. Do we push everything thing aside and just live the way we want to, have fun (we are indeed getting older much earlier than our previous generations)? We could definitely "afford" two cars, a big stretch yes, but we can.

Or, do we buckle to traditional pressure, and just end up investing in mutual funds, insurance policies, long term investments for our daughter etc?!! Afterall, an automobile is a "depreciating asset"!!!

Or, do we keep thinking about it and feel guilty - half the world doesnt have decent meals, not even once a day, and we want two new cars??!!

Or, do we just fold all up and carry on the way we are - we dont "need" anything more than what we have now, at the moment atleast?!!

What a shame. We complicate lives so much more than we need to!

No comments: