Monday, June 24, 2013

Anchetty Brevet: My best ride so far!

I was still in a slight mental daze for two days after the ride, like a positive buzz that was proving infectious. My body felt absolutely fine, and my mind felt much better than the body. This by far is my most satisfying ride on the bike, just ahead of the Cyclone Nilam ride – and one should note, I did not finish the brevet. My second DNF after the disaster of the 300km I attempted previously – but does that really matter on this route? Hell Not for me!
Mind you, I would be in another world if I had completed it, but the DNF doesn’t rob me of anything in this ride.
This particular Saturday – 01-June-2013 - will be top of my list of rides for a long long time. I had some of the best moments on the bike and off it as well in recent times.

A 122 year record almost breached

Let me start recounting this episode from the day before the ride. Shasti, now my steady ride partner, signed up for this one (his first brevet) as well and was having “butterflies in his stomach” (in his own words) the day before. Well, a lot of us did – just looking at the elevation map of the route and the climbs that were waiting for us.

This was what we were attempting:


Along with Shasti was Thenappan Meyyappan, my apartment mate, a new cyclist. And by now I also knew many of the riders attempting this one, so a lot of familiar faces there.
Sanath (readers might remember him as the one who lent me the light, quite literally, for the 300km ride) pulled out since he had to travel on Sunday, but was enthusiastic enough to volunteer to ride till IISC starting 4 AM! I mean, who would do that knowing they weren’t riding the brevet? Spirit I say, I am blessed to know people with such spirit and energy.
However, if you were reading Saturday or Sunday’s newspapers in Bangalore, one would know that the rains on Friday almost matched the 122 year old record of the most rainfall in a single night. That was around 101.x mm of rain, and on 31-May-2013 we received in Bangalore, around 100 mm.

I had taken the bike to the nearby Shell petrol pump and filled the tyres, and returned home after buying the necessary chikkis and Gatorade sachets et all just before the rains.
And I was prepping the bike when the thunders hit us. Scary is the word. But rain or shine, the brevet was happening and I had to tune myself up for that. I called Sanath and told him not to do the 4 AM thing, I really didn’t want him to wake up and ride in such slush just to see us off.
Wife and kid stayed back (we’d planned to have them at in-laws’) – driving was ruled out; so did my parents – even walking in that rain was ruled out. Eventually we all hit the sack at around 10:30 PM. And promptly at 3:15 AM, my daughter woke us all up with her wails – some nightmare she had; while the others tried to pacify her, I quietly got ready. And by 3:45 AM once again the house was calm, and I slipped out to meet Thens at the parking area. Shasti, and a fellow rider Mrinal met us on the way and we were off at 4AM sharp towards IISc.
Covered the 23+km in an hour, finished the formalities, chatted up with the organizers and then we headed to a nearby bakery for some food. Cheese Omelette Bun it was with tea, and everything was just perfect for the ride. The weather, the people, the positivity.

The Ride:

Ok so you already have the link. But the gist is here:

Route: IISc -> Kanakapura Road -> Art of Living -> Harohalli -> Jawalgiri -> Thalli -> Anchetty -> Denkanikottai -> Attibele -> BTM, Bangalore.

Elevation map:


Distance: 206 km
Time Given: 13.5 hours.








IISc to Harohalli


Start Point with Shasti and all the riders behind

All smiles

 This section was pretty much a breeze, with a small initial scare of having taken the wrong road. Added a couple of km because of that, but the weather was too awesome to feel anything about it.

There were some bad-ass climbs at Mahalakshmi layout, and I had that done with ease. Little did I know what was in store, and I was already elated at my overall form that day.
I had left behind Shasti and caught up with Thens who was ahead (he wasn’t with us for the wrong 2 km). We waited at the Merida junction for Shasti who was already daunted by the small climbs so far.
However, we picked up steam, and maintained an easy pace till Harohalli. I didn’t want to wear us out, especially Shasti and Thens and hence we were taking it a bit too easy.
Reached the first control at Harohalli with around 40 minutes to spare. With no good breakfast place in sight, we had some cakes and a couple of Badam Milks.
It was around 8:30 when we left Harohalli towards Thali.

The onslaught begins

When most of us saw the elevation map, we were all focusing on the big V, ignoring the smaller sections of climbs before Thali and Anchetty. This would come back to haunt us when our plans to pace ourselves were tested to the hilt.

The “should have” and “if only”s were beginning, and we had to make a rush to Thali. The climbs began around 8km from Harohalli and there were no signs of them getting any better.
We stopped in between for a few snaps and some much needed rest. We entered areas marked as elephant corridors, and we were all excited at the prospects. Long electrical fences, dug outs along the road for stopping the elephants, high rises made of stones packed together, all these were pretty fascinating. Even the distant moos of cows and buffaloes were sounding like elephants to us (:P) Every dark trunk of a tree looked like an elephant lurking. We were kids again.

Thens and Shasti on the way to Thali from Harohalli

Myself and Shasti with our companions

The hills behind us - thankfully we didnt have the climb them yet

Not a soul on the road at that hour except us bikers, the gentle and cool breeze, the rolling terrains, and some nice conversations – made for an enchanting couple of hours.
I was full of mojo at this time, but decided to take it easy, always keeping in mind the big V, but I was losing time by unmounting and walking few of the steep climbs in the current section. I did not bother much as I always knew I can give myself the push when it came to it. Shasti was beginning to cramp a bit in these sections but was keeping up anyway.
We pushed ourselves in the last 5 km to the control, and reached the control 7 minutes before closing time, around 11.45 AM (against the closure of 11:52)

I now realized we were cutting it too close, and we had only covered 88 km. The next control was at 127 km, and the end time was 14:24 Hours. So 39 km, and 2 hours 40 mins. We were yet to have a proper meal in the day and hadn’t an opportunity for a good break.
We were now entering protected forests of Anchetty via Jawalgiri. And some sections were supposed to have steep descends, and I was quite positive about making it on time. My legs were raring, I wasn’t really tired, wasn’t hungry or queasy like the last brevet, so it all looked pretty hunky dory.

The ups and downs and then the downer

We rode at a nice pace crossing Jawalgiri and entering the forests of Anchetty. While we were looking out for the “steep descents”, we were presented with one after another of dreadful climbs. At one point, what would have been steps ideally looked like walls. Though everything was seemingly going my way, I was losing steam and juice. All my rides so far were on relatively flat terrains with a few flyovers and a couple of difficult climbs like the Krishnagiri one thrown in.

A small temple at which we had natural mineral water, Arun's head can be seen
Hint of the terrain

Thats Ratnaveer, just finishing a climb to the temple - which we guys walked!

This was a whole new level of climbing and I think I wasn’t prepared enough. These required more stamina than I had at that time, and more mental strength to not be daunted seeing those inclines I was approaching. The moment I saw anything that looked like a climb, I was feeling pretty depressed. I was beginning to understand climbs and adjust my technique, but some of them were just far too much for me to challenge at that time.

And at one point when riding in the forests, I saw Shasti a little ahead slumping on the road. He was spent. I took a few minutes sitting next to him. I then told the guys to atleast keep walking and not grind to a halt. So we walked a couple of hundred meters.
And then I had to take a decision. It was now around 1:35 PM, and I had around 27 km to go. In an ideal setting this should have been doable. And the downhills were beginning around 12 km from the control. The first 14 km took me around 29 minutes, and I was now looking at 13 km to go with 24 minutes to spare.

The best ride of whatever limited ride-life I have

The descend just started. This section of the ride was the most exhilarating bit I have ever ridden. I had lost all the others, and I decided to give myself a chance. I had to maintain more than 26 kmph, and I was hitting 40 kmph already.
I decided to take risks. I was just teasing the brakes and never really applied them. At two curves, I went off the road, on the cobbles and rocks – literally jittering my way through and getting back on the road. This was on the edge riding for me. I knew that I had minimum protection for my knees and elbows, and a fall would definitely mean broken bones. Somehow it didn’t matter. At one place through a village, just next to a lake, I hit around 61 kmph. That was the maximum I think.

I kept looking at the distance gobbled, which was painfully less for me - the intermittent climbs were slowing me down, and I was running out of energy. I reached the T junction mentioned in the cue sheet, which was 4 km from the bus stand near which the control was, and the time was 14:27 Hours. I had lost the battle. Nevertheless, I thought of making it as quickly as possible and then try begging the organizers.

While I thought I rushed to the control, mostly flat sections in the 4km, I actually reached by 14:47 Hours – it was hard to maintain even 20 kmph now. I pulled out an ATM slip at the control and then called the organizers. I was exactly 21 minutes late to the control, and I knew it was pretty much over, but whats the harm is pulling all stops. Ofcourse they sympathised with me, and told me politely to ride the remaining distance for the pleasure of it J

Reality Check

So finally, I had to digest the fact that I wouldn’t be able to qualify anymore. So went back into Anchetty village, found myself a juice vendor, and started sipping fruit punches slowly, waiting for the others to join. 25 minutes and 3 juices later, Arun (who rode with us in the morning and gave me good company for most part) came around the corner, and I called out to him. He and I had a some more juice, and then the folks started trickling in. 40 minutes later Shasti and Shankar Shastry (a very interesting character - a Chartered Accountant + musician: guitarist/composer + music teacher + cyclist etc.), were next to arrive. Shankar had yet another flat, and he tried fixing it. But then seeing us, who were in no mood to continue – he resigned as well. So we went in search of a good hotel for lunch, it was around 4:00 PM now. Thens returned now, having slept on the road just before the downhill stretch!

Found a shabby looking place, the only place that had any semblance of a hotel. Turned out, a family was running it and the lady cooked stuff in her kitchen behind the customer bay. Lunch turned out to be a tasty affair, and quite satisfying – if you left out the dust and heat. I had rice with buttermilk and some curries, an omelette and some bottled water.
Shankar, Arun and myself went out in search of a tempo (we ditched the plan of a bus since there were too many of us already and we’d have to separate). Found one – the driver was ready to come till Bangalore Silk Board for a total cost of Rs 2200. It was around 80km from there, and we were five of us. Not a bad deal, so we didn’t bargain much.

The best return journey ever in a biking trip

This is when the imps in us started waking up. Someone mentioned beer, and lo, Thens, myself and Shankar were pretty excited. Found a wine shop that was open – Shankar and I bought our supplies, the bikes were loaded into the trailer, Arun sat inside (he wanted to sleep), the other four settled beside the bikes.

See the relief???? Shasti and Thens

Our 5 bikes, mine in the extreme inside

Myself and Shankar Shastry - the last ditch effort to reach Anchetty control had taken its toll on me

Our tempo driver - dont go by his looks, he was one of the most gentle people I met that day

The snacks were opened, the bottles were opened and then our hearts opened a little more too. The weather was a gentle breeze, we were covered by greenery and it was a climb from there till Denkanikottai. Beer, friends and gentle breeze – this was probably the best van journey I have had till now, after college ofcourse.
Many more riders had quit at Anchetty, and had taken vans like us and were coming behind us.

Birds of the same feather

We passed rides on the way, and we were pretty impressed with guts and shot at glory. However, they were impressed with beer and snacks I guess ;) So we ended up pulling out the last straws for many of the riders who chose to join us and the others in another van behind us.
We did turn down a few, I knew them from previous rides as good riders and they were on the way to complete the brevet in time. I didn’t have the heart to help them quit, with a few encouraging words (which was all I could give I suppose), we continued and let the guys ride.

Ride back home

After a small event with the RTO at the checkpost coming into Bangalore Highway, we reached Silk Board at around 7 PM. We unloaded the bikes, assembled them, and Shasti decided to take an autorickshaw. Thens and I decided to ride back. Our legs were fresh and the weather as usual was perfect.

Reached home in around 40 minutes covering 17km. After dinner and a detailed recount, slept 
like a log.

Usually a DNF gives me a lot of pain and frustration, but this one was worth every minute of it. The entire experience is something that will stay with me for a long long time.


This was what I would call, the perfect DNF :) 

No comments: