Tuesday, August 14, 2007

And I drove...

It was a Vauxhall Zafira. Black, 7 Seater.

It took me 15 minutes to get used to the car/van and driving in UK. And I drove around 360 to 370 Miles this weekend. No kidding.

I hit a maximum speed of around 185 km/hr. The car couldnt handle it and started getting shaky, so had to slow down... But I did maintain 160 km/hr quite a few times.

I drove into London on saturday, and boy was it a mistake! Will keep out of London from now on. Train is the best to get around London.

We went to Leeds Castle in Kent, on Saturday. The other two families who came with us on Saturday, chose to rest on Sunday and I had the 7 seater all to myself. So wife and I decided on Oxford first, then changed to Cambridge, then settled on St. Albans. We went to a colleague's place to get the route map (maps.google.com) and there we got lured into going to Brighton. And so Brighton it was. Will write about the trips in detail soon.

There were quite a few firsts in this trip:
1. Driving a 7 seater (quite like Toyota Innova).
2. Driving in UK.
3. Crossed 140 km/hr in a car.
4. Covered more than 360 miles in a weekend.
5. Filled Diesel in the car all by myself - took the help of the Srilankan friend who owned the petrol bunk to learn. On the way back from Brighton, I did it myself.
6. Picnicked with friends & their families. You know, the kind where we spread a sheet on the lawn and have lunch and fruits and cucumber and share our food etc. Quite nice.
7. Saw a pebble beach.
8. Saw two male lovers, together.
9. Saw women in bikinis on a beach.

Took complete rest yesterday, bunked office and just slept and slept. But was feeling conscious of the fact that I hadnt run much last week, so ran for around 40 minutes yesterday, to get back into the groove. Felt much much stronger and better yesterday, and hence am planning to do twice the distance today.

Quite a good 3-day break. Thanks to my wife though, if she werent around here, I wouldnt have done as much as I did this weekend.

No comments: