Thursday, August 09, 2007

And So...

My wife is here on holiday! She quit her old job and might join a new one when she is back. And the interim she is using as a holiday. Quite a lucky woman!

Anyway, things havent been so smooth for us settling down in an apartment. We had a nightmare on Tuesday getting into the apartment. One by one things were turning out to be non-functional and though I took it lightly, wife was at wits' end, with me as well. So I behaved and avoided any damages to myself.

1. We went 30 minutes early to the apartment had to wait for Bev, the sweet lady bringing the key. She is an absolute darling actually. But we had to wait on the pavement you see and wife didnt like it much :D
2. Bev came in and gave us the keys, she knows me well by now and so left me to it and went off to another apartment. I tried the keys after she left and it wouldnt work! We were still stuck on pavement and Bev would take another 20 minutes to come back.
3. She found out that the wrong key was chosen to make duplicates from, and so opened the door for us and took the only original key left, asking wife not to go out until she returned the next day to give her the two keys. So Mrs couldnt come out till next evening since she didnt have the key to get back in, while I was at office anyway.
4. Once we were inside the house on Tuesday, Bev left with the key and I turned on the lights. BLIP. One big flash and darkness again! I suspected a fuse blow out, but it turned out to be just a trip. So switched the main on again and all was fine.
5. Until I opened the tap in the bathroom to wash my face. The basin cap was jammed and hence water just filled the basin instead of flowing out. So couldnt use this and went to the other bathroom. Where I found out that one of the 3 bulbs wasnt working.
6. Was hungry by this time and went to the kitchen to sort things out there. Opened the kitchen tap and behold! The water instead of flowing down, shot sideways and I was completely wet! Found out that the tap was blocked and hence water was coming out in all directions. So cleaned the tap, removed salt from the nozzle and got it right.
7. No utensils! The lady who was supposed to bring it, ran late and hence called up to say they would arrive next day. So took help of MTR ready to eat packs and managed.
8. There was a phone but no connection. Seems I wont get one in this apartment since this is borrowed just for a month. Whatever.

All this made me laugh and everytime I went to try something, I was amused that I was expecting something wrong to happen :D While I was completely on the funny side, Mrs went red.

But eventually things were all right, and we shopped for all necessary stuff yesterday and even had a friend invited for dinner. It was 50-50, coz he invited himself first, and I had to oblige. Anyway, I went home bracing myself for a trash, but surprisingly wife took the news well, though she did mention that I could have agreed once we were completely settled. It was a pleasant evening though, and I cooked since Mrs wasnt still comfortable with the kitchen. She is experimenting today, and guess she will get a hang of things soon.

Got to take her out to the nearby park and woods as promised. These are the places she saw in photos from my last trip. So she is quite keen to check them out personally. And I have quite a few trips lined up this month. Missed Paris since I approached for the Visas too late. Missed Scotland since Mrs thought it was costly for a 3 day trip. Its peak season time, and hence all prices hiked. Ultimately, planned quite a few trips within 4 to 5 hours from Hertford. Will list them out soon.

Havent run for a week now, which is quite not what I planned for marathon training. Wrong timing for a training plan, I should say. But atleast should do the regular short runs. Just to be in the habit.

Work is quite light till today. So while I am at it, let me finish whatever is pending. Ciao.

No comments: