Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The Missing Link

What is the missing link between a developer and a tester - after a hard time thinking about it, I conclude its Professionalism.

And is exactly what was missing between me and a tester today. On both sides ofcourse. Thats because we took it "personally".

Face it, a developer never takes issues well. And a tester never takes "no" for an answer when he says its an issue. So the basic path they both travel to meet each other is screwed.

But today was a whole new ball game. I was driven to such a bad corner, that I would have blasted out like Neo (Neo yaar! that Matrix guy! oh c'mon!).

The tester, lets name him Jelly (oh I just read about the JellyBean issue with Zaheer Khan). So Jelly calls me to tell me that my code doesnt work.

Aha I say! You JellyBelly, you better get a degree in interpersonal skills.
My code NEVER has issues.

But anyway, Jelly continues to explain how this is an issue. You see, he did something that is not ideal in a production environment and that screwed up what my program does. So I said, "Jelly, but this is not how the production system works"
Jelly says "Yeah I know that"

Me: "Oh well. Then I assume the meeting ends here"

Jelly: "Oh No! But your code doesnt work"

Me:(you gotto be kidding me) "Precisely. It wont because it is not supposed to"

Jelly: "This is a negative test case I put in. And your code failed"

Me: (so is there a positive test case? oh I thought if you test positive, thats bad news! oh what a sense of humour...pat pat for me) "Well...I dont know what you are trying to tell me"

Jelly: "I know people wont do this in production. But nevertheless your code shouldnt go crazy"

Me: "FYI, thats not 'going crazy'. Thats not meeting something outside requirement, and logically what you are doing is incorrect" (You dont buy code and get some lines free you see)

Jelly: "Hmmm. Alright"

And the next thing I see, is a mail from him asking me for clarification with stakeholders in CC! Ooh Jelly! You hit the wrong note. Face the noise now.

So I sent a "reply all", with contents effectively declaring him a loser.
It gives me a chill when I realize I enjoyed it. It felt good to be bad, is that good or bad?

So as this battle was progressing (I feel so small now at the thought that I was involved in it) I ventured into the deep philosophical research of why this happens all the time.

And there! Like a bolt of lightening tearing through me, I was comprehensively enlightened.

I share the valuable knowledge here with the world:
"Screw it and get back to kicking a$$"

No comments: