Wednesday, August 29, 2007

For My Sake



I used to be this reader-types who was never without a novel or a short story or a comic.

And like most of the people around me, reading started becoming like Diwali or something, an occasion that happens once in a long time, and we cherish that for a whole year till it happens all over again.

I hadnt touched a novel in 6 months, that is since I first came to the UK.
However, my Mrs happens to be a voracious reader, who can go to the lengths of getting novels at the Bangalore airport, fearing a dearth of novels in the country she is visiting. And so she got a couple of books, one of them being The Namesake.

She now has "Shantaram" which she got from her friend in London. She is taking it back to India and the size of the novel suggests she is going to be stuck to it for a month atleast. I am on page 41 of that novel, though I very well know I cannot continue after this Friday because the book wont be with me. But the novel has a FANTASTIC beginning, and I simply fell in love with it, and started hating the fact that I will have to wait till I get back to India to continue reading it.

Until I started with Namesake. This morning while in the bus, I started with the book. I havent enjoyed few of the Indian writers' work lately, so I was quite unsure when I started with this book.

Somehow, after all the books I've been through, this seemed to be a fresh narrative. And I quite like it. Infact, I should say I am beginning to really enjoy it. I am on page 18 of this book now. I am going to take a while to complete it though, since I have reserved it for the bus journeys, which have become monotonous now. 30 minutes of travel one-way, so 1 hour per day wasted usually. So I've fallen back on books to rescue me.

1 comment:

Santosh said...

Buddy,

I loveddddd Shantaram, I swear by it now :-) I made all my indian and a few of the euroepan friends read it too.

U know,I was the 3rd person to buy this book from bombay crossword when it had hit the stands, and was obviously not so famous. and guess what the first ten buyers of this book were called for an exclusive meeting with the author.

I have met "Shantaram" personally, and man what a personna and what a life !

We Suck !! in this heap of codes and defects :-)

now tell me, will you or me ever get jailed and kicked around in 4 diff continents?? :-)