Monday, September 03, 2007

The Art of "Being Back"

This weekend was eventful, and I made a few unexpected friends too.

Mrs went back to India and reached safely. I had to shift the apartment again on Saturday and move into a hotel at Hatfield. The same hotel where I checked in twice in the past 2 months.

Woke up late on Saturday, packed all my stuff, got mobile topped up at Post office (being the 1st of the month, there was an unbelievable queue!), and finished the rice Mrs left for me, with curd and raw tomato - an extremely odd combination, but I was too much into finishing off all stuff before I leave :D

Then dressed up and got down to wait for the cab. And lo! The same cabbie who took me from Cheshunt to Hatfield on Aug 4th, when my wife had come, came this time too. He instantly recognised me, which was a surprise and asked if my wife was joining too! That was a bigger surprise. He is Turkish, settled in UK for over 10 years now. And has a wonderfully good memory!

I told him she left the previous day, and just talked about world politics etc.. on the way to Hatfield. He is over 50 I guess, or just looks too old. After I got down, he came up to me and said "I remembered you well because there was something about you. Something nice, felt like you were like my son. You are an extremely good gentleman" and left. I just wasnt expecting it, and I just stood there outside the hotel for a minute I guess after he left, wondering what made him say that. I didnt tip him, if thats what you are thinking. Infact he rounded off using the "floor" function.

Anyway, just felt good about it and went inside the hotel. The receptionist was attending someone else, but as soon as she saw me, she just exclaimed "Hey, you are back!". Now that was weird. I have met her hardly thrice I guess, and she remembered me. I attempted a faint smile, coz I was a bit taken aback by now to smile broadly. When my turn came, she just handed over the keys saying "You know the way around here now, dont you. Have a fantastic stay".

And so, I went to a very big room this time bigger than the previous two - a broadly smiling man extremely confused.

I gymmed on Sunday for 2 hours solid. Felt great. Saw Cast Away, Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future. All in all, an amazingly good weekend.

No comments: