Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Festive

This year,
I forgot about Raksha Bandhan.
I lost track of "Avani Avittam", when we change our Poonal, every year.
I forgot it is Krishna Jayanthi today. Had called mom and she told me she just finished with "drawing legs". And then told me she has made appamand seeyam. And let out a long sigh that neither me nor my wife was there with her, let alone my dad who is also away from home today.

These are instances where I really pity Indians who have settled abroad, and cannot celebrate such events with the full family.

These are exactly the times I used to look forward to, and still do. Every festival has such a huge build up towards the actual day and on that day, its a whole new world. I can go on and on about how much I have enjoyed all these over the years. And the best festival for me, is Diwali. Mom almost doesnt sleep the night before. I get up at 3 am every year, and before doing anything, go and burst a "oosi vedi". It is a saasthram that we follow. And what my parents dont know, is that I have bets with friends as to who will burst a cracker first :D

For Krishna Jayanthi, its not much in the morning. But as evening nears, pace picks up for the preparations. Mom draws tiny white leg prints, right from the beginning of the walk-way to the kitchen where the idols are kept. This is done to invite Lord Krishna into the home. And mom does the pooja while dad and I just loiter around waiting for the actual main attraction of the evening. Food. :D

Krishna Jayanthi specials are Seedais. Vellai Seedai, Uppu Seedai are the two main things. Appam, lemon rice, coconut rice and a lot of desserts with curd. I used sit with mom to roll the seedai balls the day before. Just the whole aura and expectations around a festival is so cool. And today, when I am sitting at UK, wife at one corner of Bangalore, dad in another corner, and mom at Hosur, it is really disappointing.

I am desperate to get back by Diwali atleast, coz Diwali is always a special day. It is The coolest day in my calendar as far as festivals are concerned. I will write about how we have been doing the same stuff over years on Diwali day, in a separate post. Any deviation from that ritual, and the day isnt quite the same.

But Mrs may have to miss it, coz it seems like she may have a travel commitment. And that might give me an opportunity later this year, to have a small break to visit her wherever she is going. Mostly in the Orient.

This year we are supposed to have our Thalai Diwali, our first Diwali as a married couple, but we might have to wait till the next year for this to happen.

Well, a lot of fond memories now swarming my head. I guess I'll savour them for a while.

No comments: